AREA 4.724 sq km POPULATION c. 450 FAMILIES c. 164
L-Ghasri is the smallest village of Gozo. The village lies
cuddled between the hills of Iz-Zebbug and Ghammar. The name
has obvious Arab origins, possibly being an area where
olives were crushed for oil. L-Ghasri is reached by forking
right on the Victoria-L-Gharb road just after the Aqueduct.
From the Village Square, a road leads to the fabulous valley
of Wied L-Ghasri. On the way, there are a number of typical
farmhouses, most of them available for short or long lets,
as well as an old charming chapel dedicated to the Patronage
of the Blessed Virgin Mary.The Wied L-Ghasri area is a
marvellous country walk or cycling site especially in Winter
and Spring. The valley ends in the sea, wedged between high
cliffs where a secluded little inlet makes it ideal for
swimming, snorkelling and diving. Indeed, the sea around
Wied L-Ghasri is very popular among divers.
Neolithic Age: Dr
Adrian van der Blom, a Dutch archeologist reports that on
the hill of Gordan , he had found neolithic remains dating
about 4500 B.C.
6th September 1903 : The first
foundation stone of the L-Ghasri Parish Church is laid.
30th September 2001: The new Local Council Offices were officially opened by the Prime Minister of Malta, Dr Eddie Fenech Adami.
14th December 2001: L-Ghasri Branch of the Public Library, housed in the premises of the Local Council, was officially opened by the Rt Hon Dr Austin Gatt, Minister of Justice and Local Government.
PLACES OF INTEREST
Gordan Lighthouse was
instrumental for the defence of the Maltese Islands
especially during World War Two. The radar installed in the
lighthouse could anticipate enemy attacks very early thus
giving ample time for the air raid sirens to warn the people
to take shelter from the forthcoming assault.
Towards the end of June
1994, another system was installed. This system which is
still in operation at present, works automatically and needs
less maintenance and surveillance. The Maritime Authority is
in charge of Gordan Lighthouse. However The Armed Forces of
Malta and the Public Broadcasting Services also make use of
the building which houses their essential equipment.
Old Chapels in L-Ghasri
This little chapel
situated at the end of Triq il-Knisja and at the beginning
of Triq Wied L-Ghasri was the first basilica in the island
of Gozo. The chapel after having been rebuilt several times
throughout various eras, was aggregated with the Basilica of
Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. Thus from 3rd September 1786,
this chapel no longer continued to fall under the
jurisdiction of the local ecclesiastical authorities. It
was consecrated by Bishop Vincenzo Labini on 10th May 1789.
The Rector at that time was the Rev Fr Guzepp Schembri
(1776-1821). This chapel hence, became the first and for the
following 161 years, the only country chapel that was
consecrated in Gozo. The painting of the Patronage of the
Virgin Mary on the main altar was painted in 1739 by
Chapel of St Publius
Ghammar Hill stands about 188 metres above sea level. Besides its natural beauty, this hill is frequented for the life size marble statues of the Way of the Cross that are found along it. Alfred Camilleri Cauchi, a very well known local artist designed these statues which were then sculpted in Italy. The First Station is at the foot on Ta’ Pinu side. The Way of the Cross comes to its end at the top of the hill. There also lies a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Ta’ Pinu. Pilgrims and devotees of Our Lady of Ta’ Pinu often go up Ghammar Hill to pray.
The niche of Our Lady of the Annunciation
This very old niche
is situated in the village core, at the foot of Triq Salvu
Gambin corner with Triq il-Knisja. The date carved at the
back of the stonework, 5th Februaury 1773.
Website Designed By GOZO VISION STUDIOS - FILMING & PHOTOGRAPHY - SANNAT - GOZO - MALTA TEL: (+356) 27565262 - mob: 99403613